Bachelor star’s ex in court on assault charge
May 8, 2019

Jeremy Banks, the ex-boyfriend of Bachelor star Kirralee “Kiki” Morris, has appeared in court as he faces a new trial over allegedly choking her and hitting her in the face.

Dress in a blue suit and white shirt, the 28-year-old appeared briefly in Manly Local Court on Wednesday on charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault.

It is alleged he struck Ms Morris in a Manly apartment in May last year after waking her at 5am yelling, before dragging her from the bed and holding her with his leg or foot while choking her.

Mr Banks denies the charges, which were thrown out by a magistrate in Manly court last year.

But the NSW Supreme Court overturned the magistrate’s dismissal and Mr Banks is due to stand trial over them.

A NSW Supreme Court decision states Ms Morris had been in a relationship with Mr Banks but the pair had decided to separate.

Ms Morris was a contestant onThe Bachelor in 2016, vying with resident “villain” Keira Maguire to be chosen by Richie Strahan.

Police alleged Jeremy Banks (left) struck ex-girlfriend and former Bachelor contestant Kiki Morris (right) and choked her.Source:Supplied

The alleged choking assault occurred at her Manly flat in the early hours of May 5 last year.Source:Facebook

Kiki Morris was eliminated in a round of The Bachelor on Channel 10 in 2016. Picture: Justin LloydSource:News Corp Australia

On the evening of Friday, May 4 last year, she and Mr Banks had a few drinks with friends, her consuming wine and then taking medication and going to bed.

Around 5am the next day, she was woken by Mr Banks who “was yelling at her and holding her mobile phone”, the court decision said.

According to police, Mr Banks then dragged her “to the lounge area where he held her down on the floor with either his foot or his leg” and unable to yell “as she felt she was being strangled … (Ms Morris) banged on the floor to attract attention”.

Police allege that Mr Banks “slapped” Ms Morris, and her neighbour from the floor below heard “shouting, a loud thumping and screams” that increased in intensity over 15 minutes.

When the neighbour came to her aid, she allegedly saw Ms Morris run from the flat crying, “Help me, call the police, call the police”.

According to police, the neighbour saw Ms Morris had a “swollen and bleeding lip” a graze on her cheek and appeared “upset and distressed … was crying, shaking”.

Police interviewed Ms Morris in a videorecorded statement and charged Mr Banks, but at a subsequent court hearing she did not give evidence and police had failed to subpoena her.

Mr Banks’ lawyer argued as a matter of fairness the statement should not be admitted if she was unavailable for cross-examination.

Magistrate Christopher Longley dismissed the charges.

But the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions appealed against the decision and remitted the charges to be heard again at Manly Local Court.

Jeremy Banks has been remanded on bail to appear at a later date.

An apprehended violence order on behalf of Ms Morris against Mr Banks remains in place.